
Aklan PNP nets five gun ban violators
BY BOY RYAN B. ZABAL
The intensified campaign on gun ban violations is strongly implemented by the Philippine National Police. So far, five gun ban violators were arrested by the Aklan Provincial Police Office (APPO) across the province / PHOTO BY AKLAN PNP PIO
KALIBO, Aklan – Five persons were apprehended by the Aklan Police Provincial Office (APPO) for violations of gun ban imposed by the Commission on Elections (Comelec) in the province.
Senior Superintendent Epifanio Bragais, Jr. said the intensified campaign on illegal firearms through checkpoints by the local police resulted to the apprehension of the violators.
“There are five violators of the gun ban so far. The latest arrest against a violator happened in Barangay Estancia in Kalibo, Aklan for indiscriminate firing of shotgun. No bail was recommended for his arrest,” he said.
Comelec issued Resolution No. 8714 which prohibits the carrying and transport of firearms, ammunitions and deadly weapons during the election period from January 10 up to June 9, 2010.
Only bona-fide members of Armed Forces of the Philippines, Philippine National Police, and law enforcement agencies in proper uniform and while in actual performance of official duty are authorized to carry firearms.
Three civilians were among the five persons who were arrested after the 150-days gun ban took effect last month in Aklan. Those arrested are facing charges for violations of the Omnibus Election Code.
The number of gun ban violators in Western Visayas rose to 48, with the province of Negros leading other provinces in the region followed by Capiz and Antique. All chiefs of police are directed to conduct checkpoints and police visibility in preparation for the upcoming May 10 polls.
No comments:
Post a Comment